Miracles of the Holy Rosary
Our Lady of the Rosary - Pompei, 1872
There are many different versions of the following story, but it nevertheless continues to show the power of the Holy Rosary through the Intercession of Our Lady.
Bartolo Longo was born in Latiano Brindisi, Italy on February 11th 1841. During his studies to become a lawyer, he bacme caught up in Satanism and it is believed he became a priest of the Devil. He reviled the Catholic Church, however through the prayers of a dear friend, Vincente Pepe, he was converted to the Christian faith. Bartolo then spent his time ministering to the sick and poor as a way to atone for the sins he had committed.
One day in October 1872 Bartolo went to Pompei on business, while out walking his mind suddenly became clouded by a deep dread and felt completley oppressed by all the evil he had previously been caught up in. Bartolo later wrote that even though he had repented, at that moment felt he may still be in some way bound to the Devil and this brough deep despair as he thought of the flames of Hell waiting for him. Suddenly he heard the voice of Alberto Radente, a Dominican friar who he was then lodging with, relating to him the words Our Blessed Mother had spoken to St Dominic: "He who propagates my Rosary will be saved." Those words brought him instant peace and light to his mind, he was so overcome with relief he immediatley fell on his knees promising to propagate the Holy Rosary, just at that moment the church of Pompei rang its bell to call people to recite the Angelus, which Bartolo felt confirmed his promise had been heard.
Firstly Bartolo inaugurated a confraternity of the Holy Rosary and needed a picture of Our Blessed Mother, with which to recite the Holy Rosary in front of each day, he eventually obtained from Mother Concetta, of the Monastery of the Rosary at Porta Medina. This picture had been held for his friend Friar Radente, it was a small picture in poor condition, which depicted Our Blessed Mother along with St Dominic and St Catherine of Siena.
The picture was firstly housed in a declining chapel in Naples during November 1875, however in the same month Bartolo received permission from the Bishop of Nola to build a new church. By 1883 the Sanctuary was completed and was consecrated on the 8th May 1891.
Bartolo's spiritual experience brought salvation and hope to others, as miracles began to be reported and pilgrimages were frequently made to this church.